Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

"I AM"

"I AM"

Today is a holiday for me, Martin Luther King Day, and I am home. I started the day leisurely with a cup of coffee and my email. Interestingly enough I for once clicked on the "Oprah" email. I became curious when I saw the tagline "I am...". Oprah's guest on the program was Pastor Joel Osteen and he was discussing the positive benefits of starting your day with positive affirmations: I am strong, I am secure, I am beautiful, etc.

The power of this mantra is familiar to me. In Kundalini Teacher Training we discussed Yogi Bhajan's statement "vibrate the universe and it will vibrate back".  There are many others who have put this message forward; Dr. Wayne Dyer and Louise Hay come to mind.

But back to the idea of "I am": this message is very important. We can all be a little more positive, the more that are positive, the better the chance of change personally and in the world. Oh wait!! That's what Ghandi said, "be the change you want to see in the world". Yup, that's it.


 I agree with this message; positive affirmations can lead to change within yourself or those who you are "vibrating" for. If you change your thoughts you can stop beating yourself up or at least decrease the frequency of it. It changes your energy.  When I am in a "negative mood and down on myself" I feel it, I exude it and others around me pick up on it. The same goes for those around you; when they are down on themselves, you feel it. Do you really want to surround yourself with negative energy, bad juju? I sure don't.

There is a meditation in Kundalini Yoga Called Meditation Into Being: “I Am, I Am”. There is also a wonderful song, "Bountiful, Blissful, Beautiful" if you want something easy to remember. To me, these three words sum it up: I am bountiful, blissful and beautiful". You can access the meditation at http://www.yogibhajan.org.

So I wonder how many people will have to tell us this before we take hold of this idea? Will Oprah's Lifeclass be the tipping point for such a change? What will it take for you to start each day with just one positive statement?

Just give it a chance, try it for a week and see how you feel. It will be difficult to stop the negative, destructive self-talk but it will be worth it.

Sat Nam





No comments:

Post a Comment