Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Here I am approaching the end of the second trimester. Tomorrow we have extended class. We'll be studying paratyahra. Practice with a blindfold to fully experience it.

Today in my home practice I had a variety of poses in my sequence. Some standing, some balances, and some sitting or lying down. This is one of the first times since my surgery that I practiced a range of asanas. Some were definitely beyond where I am in Physical Therapy. Some were very easy [not really] and these were mostly the standing poses and balances. I was able to hold Eage, Tree, standing half-moon. I think this is because while I was home and unable to do anything, I visualized my self in these poses. Well, I think it was beneficial.

We are now studying how to set up a class and sequencing yoga asanas. There are neutralizing asanas and counterposes. Subtle differences in terms of when to counterpose and when to neutralize. Also important is the sequence from easy to difficult and back to easy. The neutralizing and counterposes are to be incorporated into the sequence from easy to difficult. I never realized that there were "rules" for the asanas. Maybe that's why one of my challenges is the transition between the poses. Our yogi mentioned to me that I am totally "dropped-in" to the pose then I "pop-out" of the pose to move into the next one. I now agree with that. I totally missout on the "transition" thing. Today I tried to focus on staying in the "zone" when I was transitioning and I think it made a difference.

I am reading the book Tibetan Book of Yoga, very powerful and thought provoking.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment